Joining the ranks of music nerds not content to wait a decent 12 months before they start hastily compiling best of the year lists, using the feeble excuse that we're em, just over the half way through the year mark and it's time to 'take stock'. And joining the general blog consensus that Grizzly Bear and Animal Collective have produced extraordinary albums, here's another list.
I'll be rummaging around On the Record and Nialler 9's to unearth a few more gems, some other interesting half year round ups here from music for ants and pop tarts suck toasted.
Besides what's in the list, two EPs that have to get the nod, Bon Iver's Blood Bank and Deerhunter's Rainwater Cassette Exchange. And the Dark Was the Night compilation for its jawdropping combo of America's finest talent.
1. Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest
2. Animal Collective, Merriweather Post Pavillion
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs, It's Blitz!
4. Phoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
5. Bruce Springsteen, Working on a Dream
6. Anthony and the Johnsons, The Crying Light
7. Doves, Kingdom of Rust
8. Passion Pitt, Manners
9. Julie Feeney, Pages
10. Patrick Watson, Wooden Arms
11. Dangermouse and Sparklehorse, Dark Night of the Soul
12. Bat for Lashes, Two Suns
13. Wilco, Wilco the Album
14. Alela Diane, To Be Still
15. David Kitt, the Nightsaver
16. Florence and the Machine, Lungs
17. Friendly Fires, Friendly Fires
18. Royskopp, Junior
19. K'naan, Troubador
20. Regina Spektor, Far